Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Burden of a Lesser God

The Lord... Psalm 23:1

I've often treated God like my genie in a bottle. "God please make this old guy drive faster. I'm already late." As if my God who created the universe should come and go at my command.

"Yahweh, then seems to mean 'I AM' and 'I cause.' God is the 'One who is' and the One who causes.' Why is that important? Because we need a big God. And if God is the 'One who is,' then he is an unchanging God. Think about it. Do you know anyone who goes around saying, 'I am'? Neither do I. When we say 'I am,' we always add another word. 'I am happy.' 'I am sad.' 'I am strong.' I am Max.' God, however, starkly states, 'I AM' and adds nothing else. God needs no descriptive word because he never changes. God is what he is. He is what he has always been. His immutability motivated the psalmist to declare, 'But thou art the same' (Ps. 102.27). The writer is saying, 'You are the One who is. You never change.' Yahweh is an unchanging God. He is also an uncaused God. Though he creates, God was never created. Though he makes, he was never made. Though he causes, he was never caused. Hence the psalmist's proclamation: "Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God' (Ps. 90:2). God is Yahweh - an unchanging God, an uncaused God, and an ungoverned God. You and I are governed. The weather determines what we wear, the terrain tells us how to travel. Gravity dictates our speed, and health determines our strength. We may challenge these forces and alter them slightly, but we never remove them. God - our Shepherd doesn't check the weather; he makes it. He doesn't defy gravity; he created it. He isn't affected by health; he has no body. Jesus said, "God is spirit" (John 4:24). Since he has no body, he has no limitations - equally active in Cambodia as he is in Connecticut. Unchanging. Uncaused. Ungoverned."
                            Max Lucado

Why do I so often go up against a God that is Unchanging, Uncaused, Ungoverned? My ridiculous human mind says "you treat God like a lesser God, and it's a burden." But I feel like I need to rid myself of this burden. After all, I can't burden God with my feelings about Him being my genie in a bottle? I must get rid of those myself..... right? But He is YAHWEH. I "need a God who, while so mind-numbingly mighty, can come in the soft of night and touch you with the tenderness of an April snow." (Lucado).

"The Lord..."

No comments:

Post a Comment